Welcome Single Parents

Come in - be real and get real answers and advice. Take what works for you and leave the rest.



Pages

Wednesday, March 3, 2010

What comes around, goes around...

So, I received a phone call from my ex-husband the other day. It seems the I.R.S. has garnished his tax return for guess what? You got it, back child support. His entire tax return will be coming to me and kids soon. Sure, I can use the money. Extra green is always helpful! But something in me feels very bad about this. The guy's been out of work for a while, but then, this is something that went off and on for YEARS in our marriage...

So tell me, am I a victim of guilt? Should I send back a portion of the return with hopes he'll stay on top of child support from now on?

4 comments:

  1. As a former single mother with an ex who NEVER paid child support, I have to vote that you absolutely don't send any of that money back! They are still his kids, no matter what. They need that money. they also need to know that their father is contributing to their well being!

    As a side, note, thanks for the comment on my post! I'll check the rest of your blog out sometime when it is not so late! Blessings, Megan

    ReplyDelete
  2. I say absolutely NOT be guilty for this. He should WANT this money to go to you and the children... after all, they are your responsibilities. He can be a big boy and figure out to support himself, as well as you and the kiddos. If you were starving, and married, wouldn't he do anything to help you? This should light the fire under him to realize that he can't shirk this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks ladies - I needed all of this!

    Clarity

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey aunt clare,

    coming from somebody who is also going through this I am on your side I would not send a portion of the money back to him as he helped create the three beautiful children you have and it is also his responsibility to help take care of them

    Some men will never grow up to realize the damage this can take on their children and it is sad as single mothers that we have to be the one's there to put the pieces back together again. Hang in there and keep up the good work

    ReplyDelete